According to statistics, every person faces ‘door’ problems at least once in his life, when he is not able to open a door to his apartment, office, or house. Why is this happening? How to solve a problem? Who should you ask for help?
Why can’t I open the door?
There are several common reasons why people cannot open the door to their apartment or car.
- You have lost your keys. Unfortunately, it is impossible to be one hundred percent sure that you will never lose your keys. You can leave your keys at work, lose your keys in the subway or on the street, and so on.
- Your keys can be stolen. Keys can be stolen along with your handbag or wallet. In this case, it is important to replace the locks as quickly as possible to prevent criminals from breaking into your home or apartment.
- Broken lock or key. Any mechanism has a limited service life. It means that after 5-10 or 20 years, the lock on your door may break. Usually, before a breakdown, you notice some symptoms (the lock doesn’t open or close well, the cylinder turns badly or sticks), but sudden breakdowns also happen. You may also break the key. For example, if the lock froze. Another common cause of breakdown is vandalism or an unsuccessful attempt to open the lock.
- The lock requires maintenance. Sometimes the lock cannot be opened because it requires maintenance.
If you face one of these problems, don’t panic. If everything is done correctly, you can open the door and get into your apartment within 60-90 minutes.
How to open the door
First, we don’t recommend opening the door yourself, even if you can get into the garage or borrow tools from a neighbor. With a high degree of probability, you will not be able to open even an inexpensive serial lock, since the locks are protected from hacking. Only a specialist who has special skills and a set of tools can open the lock.
Secondly, we do not recommend knocking down the door. Most locks can be opened carefully and with minimal damage to the door. If you try to knock down the door, even if you are successful, you will have to spend a large amount of money on repairs. The situation is similar with windows – if there is no threat to the life and safety of people inside the room, it is better not to break the window.
Thirdly, you can call the rescue service if there is a threat to life and safety. But in this case, the door will be opened quickly and most likely with damage.
You can also contact non-specialized locksmiths. For example, if a mechanic lives next door. However, in this case, you cannot be sure that he will be able to open the lock, especially if your door has burglar-resistant locks.
The best solution to the problem is to call a specialist from a specialized lock-picking service, which is available in any major city. Why? Because such services open locks quickly, accurately, and inexpensively.
You can find out more about the lock-picking service at this link: https://spb.ok-locks.ru/
How to call an emergency service specialist
- Find contacts of the nearest lock-picking service in your city. We recommend finding the service contacts in advance and saving them to your phone. In an emergency, you won’t have time to compare offers from different services and look for the company that offers the best services at an affordable price. If the service operates 24/7, this is an additional advantage.
- When choosing a service, pay attention to the location of the office, the cost of services indicated in the price list, as well as customer reviews and comments. If reviews and comments are published not on the official website, but on an independent website, it is a good sign.
- Call the chosen service and tell the consultant what situation you find yourself in. If you can send a photo of the door and lock or name the lock model, then the specialist will give you the estimated cost of lock-picking services. If you cannot name the model and type of lock, the specialist will determine the cost of services after arriving at your address.
- Find out how long the master will travel to you. It is advisable to choose a local service that employs at least several specialists. This way you can be sure that a specialist will come to you quickly.
- After the spec comes to you, he will ask you to provide evidence that you have the right to open the door. If there is no evidence, then the lock picking will be illegal. Check with the service consultant what documents you need to prepare and what to do if evidence is not available.
- At the next stage, the technician will examine the door and lock, and also tell you how much the services will cost. Typically, specialists can open standard locks within 5-10 minutes, but highly burglar-resistant locks are more difficult to pick and may take longer. If possible, a specialist will open the lock without unnecessary damage. In the future, such an approach will save you money that you will spend on door repairs.
- In some situations, a specialist will not only open the lock but also install a new lock. It is necessary if you have lost your keys, if your keys have been stolen, if someone tried to break into your door, or if your lock has stopped working. After completing the work, the lock picking spec will issue a guarantee for the services and a new lock.
Problems with locks happen often and unexpectedly. We recommend that you prepare in advance for force majeure situations and keep the contacts of your local lock-picking service. Call a professional and don’t try to pick locks yourself, even if you have the tools.