Raccoons are ubiquitous across North America, and as such, they can be a nuisance in many backyards. Here are some tips to keep them out of your yard and away from your food:
- Set up a wildlife barrier. A wildlife barrier is a simple but effective way to keep raccoons out of your yard. You can build a temporary fence using chicken wire or sturdy netting, or you can buy an enclosure designed specifically for raccoons.
- Use repellents. A variety of repellents will keep raccoons away from your garden, food, and garbage. Be sure to read the instructions before applying any repellent, and use it in moderation – too much repellent can actually make things worse for you and the animals in your area.
- Scare them away with noise. If all else fails, make lots of noise to scare away raccoons – this includes banging pots and pans together, calling out their names, and playing loud music through a stereo system.
- Use squirrel removal services. If you have a lot of squirrels in your yard, you may want to consider hiring a professional squirrel removal service to get them out of your way. Raccoons are hesitant to attack squirrels, so this may be the best way to keep them away from your food and garden.
What to Do if You See a Raccoon?
If you see a raccoon in your backyard, there are a few things you can do to keep it out.
– First, make sure that all of your garbage is properly stored away. Raccoons are attracted to food that has been left out and are also likely to eat pet food or bird seed.
– Second, make sure any sheds or other outside areas that the raccoon may be using as a home are secure. Raccoons can get inside through small openings, so close up any cracks or openings that might let them in.
– Finally, keep your dog on a leash when outside and watch for signs that the raccoon may be feeling threatened. If you see the raccoon approaching your dog, take action quickly by calling your local animal control officer.
How to Deter Raccoons from Coming Into Your Yard?
One of the most common problems homeowners face with raccoons is having them enter their property from outside. There are a few tips you can use to deter these animals from coming into your yard in the first place.
- Keep your yard clean and free of food sources: Raccoons are attracted to food, so keeping your yard clean and free of scraps will make it less appealing to them. Make sure to compost if possible, or put food items in a secure container out of reach.
- Install a fence: A good way to keep raccoons out of your yard is to install a fence. Raccoons are intelligent animals and they can easily climb over low fences. If you do decide to go with a fence, make sure the height is appropriate for your situation and that it has been properly installed and maintained.
- Use deterrents: One effective way to deter raccoons from entering your yard is by using deterrents. This can include things like motion-activated sprinklers, powerful noise makers, or thunderstorms that scare away the animals. Make sure to select an option that is both effective and safe for your family and pets.