Fortune cookies are great party starters. With their sugary deliciousness, they also predict your fortune, which is why they have gained a lot of popularity over the years. Fortune cookies can easily be bought from a local store.
However, many people make their own personalized fortune cookies. You can choose the messages and make it even more fun. Below is how you can make fortune cookies for yourself.
What will you need?
There are several ingredients that one needs to make fortune cookies yourself. Below is a list of these ingredients according to the serving size of 10 people:
2 large egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
½ cup white sugar
1 pinch of salt
3 tablespoons water
You can adjust the quantity of the ingredients according to your serving size. Aside from the ingredients, you will also need paper strips and a pen. Once you have all these ingredients, you can move towards the actual process.
Steps to make fortune cookies
Before you begin with the actual cooking process, it is suggested that you prepare the fortune slips. Below are some ideas for fortune slips:
- You need a mint ASAP
- Fortune not found
- Someone ahead in line will pay your check
- You will die alone
- Your cookies will fall
Once you have the slips ready, you can begin with the baking process. Below is the step to step guide for making fortune cookies from scratch:
- The very step is to preheat your oven at 425˚F (220˚C). So, you can make the cookies by the time your oven heats.
- You will need egg whites for this step. To separate your egg whites, you can use your hands since spoons often cause them to slip. Add your egg whites to a bowl along with vanilla extract. With the use of a hand mixer or beater, beat your eggs for a minute till they become frothy.
- Now, sift your flour, sugar, and salt through a sieve. You will need to use powdered sugar. This step is necessary as it helps in removing any clumps.
- The next step is to incorporate the flour, sugar, and salt mix with your beaten eggs. Be gentle while you do that, so you don’t get rid of any froth you have created.
- One by one, add in tablespoons of water and keep mixing. Once the batter is fully incorporated and feels smooth, you are done.
- Line your baking sheet with a silicone sheet or baking paper so that the batter doesn’t stick.
- Add a spoonful of batter in a circle on your sheet and bake for 8 minutes. You will see the edges become golden brown.
- Once the cookie is out of the oven, you will need to work quickly. Add the fortune slips in the middle of the cooking and fold. This can only be done when the cookies are soft and warm. Now, keep the cookie in a muffin tin or something round so that it retains its shape.
- Once done, leave the cookie to cool.