Google Voice is a telephone service that provides call forwarding and voicemail services, voice and text messaging, as well as U.S. and international call termination for Google Account customers in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K.
With Google Voice, you can choose to use your personal phone number or a Google Voice number as your primary phone number. You can also use Google Voice to make and receive phone calls, send and receive text messages, and read and listen to voicemail messages.
Google Voice is available on a variety of platforms, including the web, mobile apps for Android and iOS, and through integration with other Google products such as Google Hangouts.
How to Create Google Voice
To create a Google Voice account, you will need to have a Google Account. If you already have a Google Account, you can sign in to your account and follow these steps to create a Google Voice account:
- Go to the Google Voice website.
- Click the “Go to Google Voice” button.
- Click the “Sign In” button in the top right corner of the page.
- Enter your Google Account email and password, and click “Next.”
- Follow the prompts to set up your Google Voice account. This will include selecting a phone number, setting up voicemail, and configuring your call forwarding and voicemail settings.
If you don’t have a Google Account, you can create one by going to the Google Account creation page and following the prompts to create a new account.
About the benefits of Google Voice
Google Voice offers a number of benefits to users, including:
- A single phone number that you can use on any device, including your smartphone, tablet, and computer.
- Call forwarding and voicemail services, allowing you to receive calls and voicemails on any device.
- The ability to send and receive text messages from your Google Voice number.
- Low-cost international calling rates, with the option to purchase a phone plan for even lower rates.
- The ability to block unwanted calls and texts, and to screen calls by requiring unknown callers to leave a voicemail.
- Integration with other Google products such as Google Hangouts, allowing you to make and receive calls from your computer or through the Hangouts app.
Google Voice can be particularly useful for individuals who need a single phone number that they can use across multiple devices, or for businesses that want a single phone number that can be shared by multiple employees.
Google voice Number Transfer
You can transfer an existing phone number to Google Voice by purchasing a “number port” from Google. When you port a phone number to Google Voice, the phone number is transferred to your Google Voice account and can be used to make and receive calls and texts through Google Voice.
To transfer a phone number to Google Voice, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to the Google Voice website and sign in to your account.
- Click the “Menu” icon in the top left corner of the page, and then click “Legacy Google Voice” in the menu.
- Click the “Settings” icon in the top right corner of the page, and then click “Voice settings.”
- Scroll down to the “Phone numbers” section and click the “Add a forwarding phone” button.
- Follow the prompts to purchase a number port and transfer your phone number to Google Voice.
Please note that not all phone numbers are eligible for transfer to Google Voice. In particular, phone numbers from certain carriers and countries may not be eligible for transfer.