As the population ages, more and more people are requiring assisted living care. This type of care can provide seniors with help with activities of daily living, like showering, dressing, and eating. However, what are the things you need to know about assisted living care before signing up for it?
What is Assisted Living?
Assisted living is a type of care that helps seniors stay as independent and safe as possible. Residents live in their own home, but may receive assistance from a team of caregivers to help with everyday tasks like bathing, dressing, and eating. Assisted living facilities offer a variety of services and amenities to make life easier for seniors, including activities and programs to keep them mentally and physically active, 24-hour support staff, and comprehensive health care.
What are the Benefits of Assisted Living?
Many people are hesitant about entering into assisted living because they don’t know what to expect. Assisted living can be a great option for older adults who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).
Assisted living provides residents with the opportunity to live in a supported environment that helps them maintain their independence and quality of life. Here are some of the benefits of assisted living:
• Residents have more autonomy and freedom. They are able to live according to their own preferences and needs, rather than those of the care provider.
• The environment is supportive and calming. It’s designed to help residents feel comfortable, safe, and secure.
• Residents receive regular care and attention. The care provided includes assistance with ADLs, such as bathing, dressing, eating, toileting, and receiving medication.
For example, Grace Meridian is a beautifully maintained assisted living community in Meridian Idaho that offers seniors the perfect blend of independence and support. Assisted living in Meridian Idaho offers seniors a place to live while they continue to receive care and assistance. These communities provide meals, housekeeping, and personal care services. Residents can expect to enjoy the same activities and amenities as at their home, with the added benefit of professional help.
What to Expect from an Assisted Living Facility?
Assisted living facilities offer a variety of services and amenities to accommodate the needs of their residents. Here are some things to expect from an assisted living facility:
• Personalized care and assistance with daily tasks.
• Regular social activities and enrichment programs.
• Access to 24-hour support and assistance.
• Health and hygiene services.
How to Prepare for a Move Into an Assisted Living Facility
When you are ready to make the transition to an assisted living facility, there are a few things you should do in advance. Here are some tips:
1. Talk to your loved ones about your plans. Let them know what you are considering and let them know when they can come and see you. This will help them adjust emotionally if you end up moving into an assisted living facility.
2. Make a list of your priorities and goals for your new care home. Be realistic about what you can realistically achieve, and make sure that your expectations are in line with what the care home can offer.
3. Prepare yourself financially. Assisted living facilities typically have higher costs than traditional homes, so be prepared to budget for these expenses. In addition, many care homes require residents to have a certain level of financial security in order to qualify for admission.
4. Get organized. Many assisted living facilities have a strict schedule of check-ins and check-outs, so it is important to be prepared for these times. Make sure all of your documents (i.e., Medicare card, driver’s license) are up-to-date and available when you arrive at the care home.